If you are visiting Bali for the first time, you may not be aware that the weather is quite different from what you are used to. You do not want to pack any winter clothes for a place that tropical throughout the year. You therefore need to figure out what you need, what you leave behind and what you will look for once you land in Indonesia.
Your Bali cruise package is all ready and paid for and you can barely wait to get going. You do not need to pack much for your trip. While this article gives suggestions of what to include, you are free to tweak the packing lists to suit your needs and style.
Type of Clothing
You figure that you are going to an island where it is all sun and lying on the beach. However that great that sounds, you do not want to shock the locals by wearing skimpy clothing that may not even attract a glance back at home. The locals dress quite conservatively.
- If you are going to visit any religious places, you should ensure that your knees and shoulders are covered. Walking into a place such as the Elephant cave in your bikini will be frowned upon and you risk being expelled from the site.
- Beach wear is great on the sand. If you are getting off the sand, cover up.
- The best clothing that will cover you up but still not make you sweat is light cotton. Quick-drying clothes work well too as the heat will dry them fast.
- Forget clothes such as jeans. You will not need them. Not even at night.
- Pack light. Whatever you will need you will get locally if you run out of clothes. If you plan to stay for a while, there are plenty of places that will launder your clothes for a fee.
Shoes for Bali
Thigh high boots are all the rage and you have some sensational pairs you simply cannot live without. In Bali, you cannot live in those. Bali is for flip flops.
When you visit some places such as temples, some bars, shops and restaurants, you may be expected to leave your shoes at the door. Flip flops are a lot easier to leave than strappy shoes which you have to work on to open.
You do not even need expensive footwear. Leaving a pricey pair at some door may give you your first taste of barefoot adventures until you can get another pair. You do not need to pack flip flops as they are sold just about everywhere on the island.
Other shoes that may come in handy hiking boots or sandals if you plan on attempting to climb mount Batur or Gunung Agung.
You will Need a First Aid Kit
A first aid kit is always a necessary accessory to have. However, you will not pack an entire pharmacy in there. There are a number of pharmacies on the island that sell just about everything you need including prescription medication. You will only need the basics to take care of the usual mishaps and pains that may try to sneak up on you.
However, there are a few essentials that you will need on your trip such as:
- Imodium which is necessary if your stomach decides to attempt a marathon
- Antimotility which help a great deal with traveler’s diarrhea
Money and Documents
You will need to make two copies of the following:
- Travel insurance papers
- Receipts for your traveler’s cheques
- Any other necessary travel documents
You may also need extra passport size photos in case you need to apply for a tourist visa to cross over to neighboring countries.
Although there are plenty of ATMs in Bali, having a nice stash of back up cash is a good idea. Sometimes the network may be down and you do not want to be flat out of cash if this happens.
Whenever you visit a tropical climate, pack a lot of sun lotion. You are going to be out in the sun a lot.